Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What are the whole eggs at the end of the recipe used for when baking Greek sweet bread?

I'm making Greek sweet bread and I wanted to know what the whole eggs placed in between the braids at the end of the recipe are used for and are they necessary. I'm not sure if its shape or flavor (hopefully not flavor) but I was hoping I didn't have to use them at all.What are the whole eggs at the end of the recipe used for when baking Greek sweet bread?
I guess when you say Greek sweet bread you mean ';tsoureki';. Tsoureki is usually baked for Easter celebrations, so red painted boiled eggs are some times placed in the center of it or in between the braids. On Greek easter day, there is a tradition where people hold red eggs in their fists and tap the end against the end of their opponent's egg, trying to crack it. Red coloring symbolizes the blood of Christ.


Tsoureki is nowadays baked on many occasions in Greece (I had chocolate filled tsoureki for breakfast, yummy!), but red eggs are used only on Easter. So you can skip them..


Check my recipies and picture of tsoureki!What are the whole eggs at the end of the recipe used for when baking Greek sweet bread?
The eggs are symbolic, and are not necessary when making this bread (answerer above covered this very well). However, I have always added the eggs as it is tradition (I'm American, not Greek), and it brings so much beauty and character to the bread.





I'd add them ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails